AAERE 2023 CALL FOR PAPERS
The 12th Congress of the Asian Association of Environmental and Resource Economics (AAERE) will be held at Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan, from August 29 to 30, 2023. The 12th Congress will be a hybrid (in-person and online) conference: The audience can utilize both in-person and online channels, while a presenter will make the presentation in person at the venue. However, an online presentation may be available for a participant who cannot come to the venue for specific reasons, such as due to travel restriction or being sick.
The 12th Congress of the AAERE succeeds the very successful previous Congresses held in Hokkaido (2010), Bandung (2012), Huangsan (2013), Busan (2014), Taipei (2015), Fukuoka (2016), Singapore (2017), Beijing (2019), Seoul (2021) and Ho Chi Minh (2022). In 2018, the AAERE jointly organized the 6th World Congress of Environmental and Resource Economists (WCERE), in cooperation with the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (AERE) and the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (EAERE) held in Gothenburg, Sweden.
You are invited to submit theoretical and empirical papers in all areas of environmental and resource economics for presentation in this 12th Congress.
THE MAIN THEME
The main theme of the 12th Congress is “Accelerating energy transitions and resource use efficiency toward carbon neutrality in Asia”. This is a follow up theme that we have in our 11th Congress last year. Rapid paces of economic development and urbanization in Asia has induced several major problems; such as greenhouse gas emissions mass consumption and depletion of natural resources, as well as degradation of the environment. These problems pose a major threat to a sustainable future for Asia and are hindering many Asian countries' goal of becoming carbon-neutral by the mid of this century.
Solving these problems requires a comprehensive understanding on the nature of energy consumption, exploitation of natural resources, deterioration of the environment, and climate change. Furthermore, since these issues cannot be addressed effectively at the national level alone, it is important to address them at the regional level beyond the borders of individual Asian countries.
To accelerate the green energy transition and promote efficient resource use in Asia, a range of policy options and joint efforts among Asian countries will be required, including carbon pricing, resource tax reform, the expansion of transition finance, support for the development of low-carbon and resource-efficient social infrastructure, improved efficiency and recycling of water resources, and land-use measures to maintain biodiversity and agricultural production. However, Asia is home to many countries, each in its different stage of economic development and with its own culture and customs. Practical implementation of these policies will require bringing together researchers, policymakers, and citizens in the congress where they can share their knowledge and experience and engage in discussions to generate policy ideas that are appropriate for each country.
The AAERE is proudly organizing the 12th Congress as a media to share theoretical and empirical knowledge among researchers, not only from Asia, but also from around the world that expectedly will accelerate energy transition and resource use effectiveness toward a carbon-neutral and sustainable future in Asia.
The Congress is open not only to scientific works, but also to in-depth policy-related presentations and discussions. The Congress welcomes papers on any environmental and resource economic issues including
TOPICS FOR THE PRESENTATION
- Energy transition
- Resource use effectiveness
- Carbon neutrality
- Impact and Mitigation policies of climate change
- Carbon Pricing
- Renewable energy
- Energy efficiency, and green innovation
- Environmental governance and sustainable development
- Non-market valuation
- Low carbon building, house, and home appliances
- Biodiversity and ecosystem management
- Water and land management
- Climate change and Food, forest and agriculture
- Climate change and fisheries
- Waste management and circular economy
- Air pollution, Environment and development
- Environmental impact and disaster management
- After COVID-19,health and environmental issue
- Other issues
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSIONS
The 12th Congress of the AAERE will be composed of regular parallel sessions, organized thematic sessions, and poster sessions. The Congress will be a hybrid type utilizing both online and offline. A presenter is encouraged to make the presentation in person at the venue. However, an online presentation may be allowed for participants who cannot come to the venue for specific reasons.
REGULAR PARALLEL SESSIONS
To apply for presenting at REGULAR PARALLEL SESSIONS, the presenters are required to submit an abstract to ABSTRACT SUBMISSION form with one page using this inserted form of document. The abstract should include the title of the paper, name(s) and affiliation(s) of the author(s), introduction and objectives, main findings and conclusion (more than 350 words). The Scientific Committee will select abstracts for presentation based on scientific quality and originality. Multiple submissions by the same author(s) are allowed, but basically each participant will be requested to present no more than one paper.
We recommend that authors of papers which have original ideas and concrete research plans, but cannot submit the full papers within the deadline, to submit their abstract to Poster Sessions.
Switching from submissions from Regular Parallel Sessions to submission to Poster Sessions is allowed if the switching happens before the full paper submission deadline.
To submit a proposal to ORGANIZE a THEMATIC SESSION, three or four papers connected by a unifying theme are required. Thematic sessions aim to highlight current research on a subject in environmental and resource economics. The Scientific Committee will select a limited number of proposed Thematic Sessions based on scientific quality and importance. The thematic sessions will run in parallel in the same way as regular Parallel Sessions.
- Each organizer of thematic session could apply for only one thematic session. The organizer must be an AAERE active member. If you are not an AAERE member or do not renew your membership, you must complete the membership procedures before applying. Please visit the AAERE website if you wish to become an active member.The organizer must submit max 2 pages of written proposal to THEMATIC SESSION PROPOSAL SUBMISSION form, describing its title, organizer, chairperson, presenters, discussants, and an outline of the proposed session. Please be aware that the organizer should inform the presenters, and discussants of any notices from the program committee.
- The individual presenter at Thematic SESSIONS should submit an abstract to ABSTRACT SUBMISSION form with one page using this inserted form of document. Presenters should insert the title of thematic session on the top of the abstract. Presenter at the thematic session could present only once at the regular parallel session.
- Organizers and presenters of the thematic session should be members of the AAERE. Discussants of the thematic sessions are required to be registered to attend the conference but should not necessarily be members of the AAERE.
To submit a paper for the POSTER SESSIONS, presenters are required to submit an abstract to ABSTRACT SUBMISSION form with one page using this inserted form of document. The abstract should include the title of the paper, name(s) and affiliation(s) of the author(s), introduction and objectives, the main findings, and conclusion (more than 350 words). The requirements for formatting of the poster will be provided later.
Poster Sessions consist of short oral presentations of your research without discussants (10 minutes for oral presentation + 5 minutes for questions from the floor). Poster Sessions do not require the submission of full papers. Poster Sessions are arranged as parallel sessions with the Regular Parallel Sessions.
Scientific Committee will offer a prize for the best Poster which will be acknowledged as frontier in the field of Environmental and Resource Economics. Please note that only young academics (under 40 years of age) are eligible for the Best Poster Prize. The presenters who want to be a candidate as the Best Poster Prize should write her or his birth dates in the abstracts. Presentations of single author might be given preferential to those of multiple authors in rating the presentations. The presenter must be an AAERE member.
SELECTION STANDARDS FOR APPLICATIONS
Although AAERE requires only the submission of the abstract when applying to present, the objectives, main findings, and conclusion must still be clearly described at this stage. We may reject a presentation if the abstract come under any of the following conditions.
- Abstracts that describe only the research outline
- Abstracts that do not keep the designated number of letter (more than 350 words (11 font (Times New Roman) of word or pdf file))
- Abstracts with insufficient relevance to the topics discussed by AAERE
- Abstracts intended for personal benefit or that seek to promote political parties, or religions
AAERE BOOK SERIES
Starting this year, AAERE plans to publish a book series featuring selected papers presented at the conference. The papers will undergo a thorough peer-review process. Presenters who wish to submit their papers for consideration in the AAERE BOOK SERIES must select the BOOK SERIES BOX in the conference abstract submission website. It is important to note that the papers submitted must not have been previously published in other journals or books, nor be submitted for publication in other journals or books.